Sunday, January 27, 2008

Clotilde in Elle à table!

Yesterday I had just picked up the last of my weekly fresh supplies at the market -- this time around mainly consisting of more clementines, some pink grapefruits, a handful of Comice pears (I'm completely addicted to these!) and some fresh cabillaud -- when I asked my boyfriend if he wanted to stop into the nearby Maison de la presse to check out a few magazines. I had seen a few titles on a newsstand the day before that I thought might interest him, and I was also in the mood to pick up a new cooking magazine for some inspiration. I hadn't gotten anything new since devouring Saveurs a few months back...

At first I was planning on bringing home the new issue of Régal, with a spread on simmering winter soups and stews (next weekend I may try my hand at rabbit once again), but I picked up the new February issue of Elle à table out of curiosity. I haven't actually bought it in months, because the last few times I grabbed it without a second thought I didn't even end up using any of the recipes. I hated feeling disappointed when it sat unused on my coffee table -- especially since many of the recipes are actually available on-line now! But there are admittedly some great articles in Elle à table -- case in point: I was just quickly paging through it to get a general idea of the latest articles when, lo and behold, whose familiar face jumped out at me? Paris's own Clotilde Dusoulier of the highly acclaimed, always appetizing and inspiring Chocolate & Zucchini! Six pages devoted to Clotilde, the story behind her blog, some snippets on her approach to cooking (as well as some sample signature recipes), and a glimpse into her rise to food blogging fame. Of course, her book develops all of these subjects even more fully, and it hit me that its French translation is to be released in just a few days' time -- apparently on February 1st! Congrats once again to Clotilde and her much-deserved success. I'm looking forward to her new book as well, due out in April.

So if you happen to be in France or can get your hands on Elle à table, I highly recommend this month's issue -- in addition to the great C&Z piece, there are variations on the classic roasted chicken, some wonderful winter cake recipes, as well as some unexpected suggestions for how to put a twist on everyone's favorite chocolat chaud! Mmmm, dig in...

8 comments:

deedee said...

Shoot, I almost bought it the other day, and picked up another cooking magazine instead. I'll go get Elle à Table today!
ps I am a cooking magazine addict :)

Penny said...

Ooh thanks for the tip! I'll wait for the french version and practice my french at the same time - there's nothing like chocolat chaud to help motivate me to read in french!

:)

Anonymous said...

C & Z was the blog that inspired me to start reading about other peoples lives and to start one of my own albeit more mundane than Clotilde's LOL.

Linda said...

Isn't she amazing? I love her writing and how she thinks. I met her once. She has no accent with her English which I thought was amazing--plus she is so cute.

Anonymous said...

This is great!

Can you please post pics of the other pages of the article ?

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Thanks so much for stopping by with your well wishes and support!! I really do appreciate it! I will post the updates of my results on 11 Oct. sometime in the late afternoon... Hopefully, all is well.... Leesa

picolo said...

hi alice,
i've sent a few email to u inviting u to m my bloggers party on feb. 16th? have u received them?

The Late Bloomer said...

Meredith, hope you were able to pick up a copy and have been enjoying it! I have to admit I haven't gotten around to much cooking lately, not as much as I'd like anyway, and I'm hoping to do some later today... I had plans to do lots of cooking and cleaning this weekend, and then when I had a horrible allergy attack yesterday it slowed me down something awful. I'm still sniffling and sneezing, and as there isn't much I can take aside from homeopathie, it's SOOO frustrating!

Hi there Penny! I need something warm to eat this afternoon... Hoping to brew up some mushroom soup, if the motivation hangs in there!

Lusks, yes, I think lots of people have been inspired and encouraged by Clotilde and all she's accomplished! I agree, she's one of the persons who got me into the kitchen, finally! And Linda, her English is beyond impressive -- so amazing how well she writes and speaks the language!

Anonymous, I'm sorry but I'm not sure if it would be a good idea for me to actually post pics of the whole article -- I don't think that would be fair to Clotilde, particularly without her permission or that of the magazine editors... But if you needed to get your hands on a copy and live outside of France, just get in touch with me and maybe I can mail you one!

Leesa, take good care of yourself. I do hope all goes well with your tests. That seems like such a LONG time to wait for results -- be sure to do lots of things to keep you occupied, and spend lots of time with friends and loved ones!

I know I haven't been blogging much, I've just been really tired and distracted... I'm going to try to get back into a better routine.

Picolo -- is that you, Richard? Yes, I'm sorry, I think I did get your invitation -- I've just been a bit out of commission, so I hadn't had a chance to respond, as I wasn't sure what would be going on in the next couple of weeks. But I'll be sure to drop you a line soon!