Sunday, February 10, 2008

Fridge Fun

It's been a strange couple of weeks, and yet at the same time there's not a whole lot to tell. I've just been struggling with lots of fatigue, which I know is fairly normal, and at the same time I'm pretty much hungry all the time -- as a matter of fact, I sometimes surprise myself with the quantity of food I put down my throat on my own! Yesterday I ate a huge amount of pasta with some ground beef I had left to simmer in some tomato sauce with a shallot and some garlic... Along with a salad, half an avocado, and then a bowl of -- yes, that's right! -- Country Crisp chocolate granola cereal... Sheesh! I was a bit embarrassed, but luckily I was home on my own, so no one was there to chide me -- of course now that I've shared my lunch with the Internet, I guess it's no longer a secret!

Last weekend my boyfriend and I were in Le Havre once again, spending time with his father. I actually arrived late Saturday afternoon on the train and only spent that night and Sunday with them. The incredible thing is that I spent most of that whole weekend sleeping. I had a good night's sleep on Friday night, but was exhausted by noon on Saturday, when I found myself at les Halles shopping center with a friend, hoping to find something interesting at the maternity department of H&M. [Of course, I'm not really showing all that much yet, per se, but I can't seem to button up most of my pants, so I figure any day now my whole wardrobe is going to be useless -- hence the need for at least a few essentials. And I definitely don't want to have to spend a lot of money on new clothes for the next 6 months, so I'm hoping to find a few things used, secondhand, or through friends and colleagues. As a matter of fact, an absolutely wonderful colleague of mine has already loaned me an assortment of things that I'm keeping on hand for when the need arises. I would still like to treat myself to maybe a dress or two, and I'm going to need at least two pairs of pants to tide me over, but otherwise I plan on wearing some stretch sweaters and dresses as much as possible.]

By the time I got on the train at St. Lazare on Saturday, I could hardly stay awake, so I slept for almost the whole two hours. I fell into bed at about 11:00 that night, woke up around 9:30 the next morning, and then slept on and off all afternoon! A serious allergy attack knocked me out and made me feel even more exhausted, so for once my boyfriend actually prepared lunch (a lovely blanquette de veau -- I was impressed!) and I laid around relaxing. My boy was convinced I wouldn't sleep at all on Sunday night after all that snoozing in the afternoon, and even in the car on the way back to Paris, but believe it or not I slept through the night, like a -- baby. That's pretty much my life in a nutshell right now: sleep, eat, start all over again.

This weekend I was determined to get some things done around the apartment, make up for some lost time, especially since I haven't done any decent housecleaning in several -- gasp! -- weeks. Yeah, I know; I'm not very proud of that fact, but when you're away for most of the weekend and working during the week, it's hard to keep up with these things. Unfortunately, yesterday didn't start out so well when I had another ridiculous allergy attack, and I wish I could figure out what sets these things off -- it's got to be either the dust that is inevitable in our hardwood-floored apartment, or the chemicals in some of the cleaning products I use... Either way, apparently I'm super-sensitive to something. It all started as I was wiping up the sink in the kitchen. And it slowed me down for the rest of the day. In the end, I only managed to get one major project done: the deep-down-and-dirty cleaning of the inside of our refrigerator**, something that the pregnancy manuals and the on-line journals all tell you you're supposed to do once a month. Um, yeah. I can see that happening *cough, cough*.

I had just come back from the market, it was around 1:00, and I figured I'd have it done within the half hour... Well, little did I know that the allergy attack was going to cripple me a bit, and that digging everything out of the refrigerator, going through it to get rid of the far-too-ancient stuff, and then scrubbing down the inside of the fridge would take more than a half an hour. But in the end, when I finally finished the task, I couldn't help but feel proud of myself -- the inside of our fridge hasn't looked this spotless in two years!

I don't tend to leave stuff festering in there for ages or anything, but you know how it is: an old bottle of jam here, another half-full bottle of guacamole there -- well, some of that stuff just tends to get overlooked. (And I hate wasting...) Add to that the fact that I kept finding a puddle of water accumulated at the bottom of the refrigerator, under the vegetable bin, over the last few weeks... I would sponge it out and put back the vegetable basket, but then it would start all over again. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was causing this, or where the water was coming from -- that is, until I saw that the hole in the back of the refrigerator where the water is supposed to drain was full of, er, goo. Can anyone tell me how this sort of thing happens? I'm sure you're probably all thinking I'm a complete slob, but I haven't the slightest idea how or when this gook got in the back of the fridge... I unplugged the draining hole as best I could, so here's hoping that the water puddles won't be back anytime soon.

After the fridge fun, I had my enormous lunch -- and then laid down for a two-hour nap. Talk about veering away from my initial plans for the day...

And this afternoon I haven't gotten a whole heck of a lot more done, aside from a few loads of laundry and some putzing around in the kitchen. I'm now gradually trying to use up everything inside of our freezer so I can attack another long-delayed task ASAP: the defrosting of the freezer and subsequent mopping out of that particular kitchen appliance! I had been planning on making a cream of mushroom soup for a few weeks now, and I finally dragged out the bag of frozen mushrooms that have been waiting to be simmered for soup. I knew that mushrooms tend to "shrink" after cooking, but the 300g I prepared in a pan didn't leave much for a meal, so I only managed to eke out two bowls' worth -- that I proceeded to scarf down with some toasted bread... There goes my plan for this week's worth of meals!

In any case, this is definitely not the most productive time for me, but I guess I'm just going to have to resign myself to the fact that it's only a period and that it shall soon pass... I'm also going to have to learn to be less hard on myself, because I'm so tired of the self-berating and guilt. It's always been much more important to me to spend time with my friends and family than keep the house spotless, so unfortunately I'll probably never live up to my mom's expectations in that department (much less in others -- but that's a story for another time!).

And in the meantime, here's to small victories! Like a nice clean fridge.

** I just have to make a note here of the fact that I received a phone call halfway through my fridge-scrubbing task: Jenn was checking in with me, and we ended up chatting away while I disinfected the refrigerator. She actually laughingly told me I should blog about this thoroughly exciting subject, so I had to share the fact that this particular blog post was brought to you courtesy of the Double Dog Blog Dare! (Ah, and you thought I wouldn't really do it!)


Jennifer said...

Country Crisp granola, how funny - that's exactly what I had this morning! A little chocolate never hurt anyone...
As you've probably guessed, I haven't sent your package yet - Paul and I are sick with nasty colds, so I'm just waiting for this to pass! It's such a shame that we have to be sick when it's so nice outside!
Congratulations on the sleep, by the way. You'll be looking back on these days with longing once your little one arrives! :)

jchevais said...

If it takes a Double Dog Blog Dare to get you to post, so be it.

Hee hee hee. Now I'm going to have to think of new things to dare you with!

Leah said...

Miam, I love Jordan's Country Crisp...but I've only ever had the fruit ones. Try not to be so hard on yourself, you can only do so much and it looks like you're doing a good job at what you've been up to!

nicole said...

another mmm on the Jordan's Country Crisp. it's a big hit here among assistants. :-)

and I have to agree with Leah on the seem to get a lot done from what we can tell!

Anonymous said...

Gah! Damn blogger deleted my comment.
The gist of it was that I thought your fridge looked amazing, brand spanking new in fact! Then I teased you that you are now allowed to fart in front of your father in law as you have an excuse! And to not feel guilty about being tired and to relax, it's a good time for calming down, taking time for yourself and catching up with people :)

The Late Bloomer said...

Oh Jennifer, I hope you and Paul will be feeling better very soon -- take good care of yourselves and stay inside away from the cold (even if it has been sunny, I think we tend to be even more fragile with weather changes)! PLEASE don't worry about any package, that certainly can wait -- it's already so nice of you just to think of me! And yes, I know that the sleep will be something I will soon miss and long for -- so I guess I should make the most of it while I can! I'm a bit freaked out by the idea of "lack of sleep" but I know that it's unavoidable, so I guess I'll muddle through somehow.

Yeah, Jenn -- I know, I know. Way to rub it in, huh?! Don't be shelling out TOO many dares though, 'k?! I'll try to post a bit more on my own, promise!

Thanks Leah and Nicole for the votes of confidence -- of course, you do realize that I obviously only shared the ONE productive thing I had accomplished this weekend, which was the fridge cleaning?! The bathroom is still screaming for a good scrub-down... ARGH. And I'm figuring my allergy attacks probably have something to do with the horrific dust in our apartment...

But yeah, the Country Crisp dark chocolate cereal manages to cheer me up every time -- thank goodness!

And thanks, Tigre -- I'm trying to relax more and not be so stressed about everything, but it is hard sometimes. I just feel like I'm far from the top of the list when it comes to lots of stuff, including pathetic everyday things like housecleaning. You'd think with such a cleanliness-obsessed mom I would have inherited that from her, but instead I seem to have rebelled. I do have my little tics, things that just have to be done, but then there are just other things that tend to get neglected.

But it's reassuring to know I'm at least getting SOMETHING done!

(As for the good excuse -- even so, I'm still hoping none of THAT will be happening again anytime soon! Last thing I need is more embarrassment... Even though it proves I'm human, they probably think I'm enough of a freak!)

Jennie said...

Oh man, I so need to clean our fridge... I'm scared of what's in there...

afoos said...

I feel like EVERYDAY I'm going through an unproductive moment and I don't even have the pregnant excuse! I just don't understand these women who have perfect houses, perfect organization etc... I've tried and tried and it just isn't happening and I'm still dead tired. Maybe it's from trying too much!

Anyway, don't beat yourself up- it makes us unique! And, if you get something done then that's an accomplishment!

joy suzanne said...

Ah, the all important fridge-cleaning portion of the nesting period! ;)

Glad you're getting some rest and some good food!

The Duchess said...

Just happened upon your blog today, nice to find it!
Hmmm, random cereal eating, marathon sleeping, obsessive cleaning, definitely pregnant! lol