Thursday, February 15, 2007

Blogger Beauty

My addiction to blog-reading began probably a little over a year and a half ago, although I only began writing one of my own just recently -- not to be repetitive, and the truth is that this is pretty obvious, but it took me some time to actually come around and decide to put my own thoughts out there. And I guess I decided to do it for many of the same reasons others do it -- to express myself, to share my thoughts, feelings and responses to things going on in my life, and also somehow to release those thoughts swirling around in my head on a constant daily basis, hoping perhaps that this action in itself would have a cathartic result. To get my feelings out into the atmosphere, or what was that thing called? Oh yeah, the blogosphere...

I've wandered around the 'Net in that time, hopped in and out of numerous blogs and kept track of a number of them, adding them to my ever-expanding list of favorites on my *shocker* office computer. I love so many different things, and I think the compiling of my own "favorites" list on my blog is going to take even longer... I love a good laugh (who doesn't?), I love me some beautiful design, great photos, I can't get enough of musings on life in France, and of course I love those talented individuals who just happen to wrap all of that up in one finely-tuned package. Oh, and good writing sure helps too. Of course, I'm not even going to attempt to try to fit in or even be on par in with these talented individuals -- I know I'm miles behind, in more ways than one, but I finally figured that there wasn't any reason for me not to tag along, so that's why I plunged in, albeit awkwardly, and feetfirst, as usual (I have big feet, by the way...)

It takes me a while to get to the point. Did you happen to notice that? So most of my posts are probably going to be much longer than necessary. Or longer than the daily-recommended-blogger-allowance. Meaning that anyone else could write the same thing in a much more concise fashion, with fewer words and more style and pizzazz. But, well, that's me -- I talk a lot, I think a lot, ergo I write a lot (and perhaps with no particular point). But I don't use words like "ergo" that often, I promise. I'm just being a smartass. And that may be off-putting, which I can totally understand. But maybe this will help me refine my writing, too. Who knows?

In any case (oh, and I think I say that a lot), I just wanted to mention that Dooce is right on up there in my list of favorite reads -- for all the obvious reasons. And the post she wrote yesterday really hit me hard -- it made me cry, it was so moving. Funny and yet moving at the same time. Now that's pure talent. And, of course, you all knew that already. But I just had to say it again.

Now back to our regularly scheduled blogging...

8 comments:

JChevais said...

I hadn't even heard of blogs until May of 2005 (I think) when dooce was mentioned on cnn. Then I started reading it and wow. There's tons of cool stuff out there...

y.Wendy.y said...

Your writing will refine itself as you get into blogging. You'll learn to say a lot in a few words.

Anyway - welcome to the blogosphere..late as my greeting may be.

amy said...

Alice! I only just realized you started a blog... Must have missed the link on your last comment. Welcome to the party!

Anonymous said...

First time here. Hope you don't mind.

I blog because I love to write. I have to. After almost six months of blogging, I have so far earned $1.51 in Google ads :)


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

Scribbit said...

Yes, Dooce is very popular. I'm not really a fan myself but obviously there's something there or so many people wouldn't read it so rabidly. And don't all bloggers secretly dream of becoming a verb? :)

The Late Bloomer said...

Yes, I know dooce is just one of those black and white sort of things: you either like it or you don't... But I simply can't deny the fact that that gal can write, and she can take a darn good photo too. But again, I'm a fan of a lot of different blogs, and I'm sure my list will keep on growing.

Thanks for the welcome in any case, guys -- all of you! -- and of course anyone and everyone is welcome. I like a good discussion.

y.Wendy.y said...

You know what? I loathe Dooce. Just loathe her..I mean her blog - not her personally. I have tried and tried to get into it but cannot so I have given up and don't read it anymore. It's the one blog I can really say I think stinks. Sorry...:(

The Late Bloomer said...

Hey, no prob Wendz! I can understand what you're saying... And we all have different opinions. I don't always love everything that she writes, but some of her stuff really hits home with me, I guess.